In one of my earlier articles about getting started with Ghost, the focus was to get your site up and running in less than 30 minutes so that you get an overall idea of Ghost. Assuming you liked the idea of creating a website with Ghost, you will eventually have to make a decision about where to host your site.
Self-hosting or Managed?
There are primarily three ways to host a Ghost website:
- Managed Hosting using:
- Self-host using:
- Self-hosting using YOUR Server & OUR Service!
Pros and Cons of using Managed Hosting
Before you learn about self-hosting, take a look at some of the pros & cons of using managed hosting.
- Peace of mind.
- Managed by experts.
- Platform as a Service (PaaS) solution.
- Trial available usually (2 weeks) without Credit Card.
- You get up and start running in less than 5 minutes!
- Subdomain (
yourblog.PROVIDER.com) provided free, and you can map to
your.domain.comwhen you are ready. Sometimes, the domain is provided for free by the provider.
- SSL may be enabled by default.
- Backups, patches, and other server tasks are undertaken by the experts. If something goes wrong they lose sleep and it saves you a lot of time and energy in the long run.
Hosting is serious work! Go for managed hosting if you have the slightest of doubts about your commitment towards managing your server.
- Limited control and no SSH access.
- Every provider has his own limitations and you need to tread carefully.
- You will have to depend on the support team for your issues.
- Mass outages are still possible and the transparency about the data centers is usually lacking.
- You don't learn anything about the Ghost barebones. The hacker in you might remain dissatisfied for not being able to tinker around.
Avoid using managed hosting if you are the technical type and would like to push the limits by introducing your own features and functionality to your website, or if you intend to learn the nuances of Ghost!
Self-hosting is for the technically inclined, and it can get pretty rewarding if you are skilled enough. You can actually run your own business by providing hosting services to your customers by splitting the hosting cost.
- Like any web server or platform, the server needs maintenance.
- You will be required to maintain and patch your servers yourself.
- You must take regular backups and automate wherever possible.
- You must manage upgrades of the Ghost platform.
- You must take care of security issues that may arise.
- Hosting multiple blogs on the same server can be tricky.
Recommended only for people who are comfortable with servers and Ghost blogging platform.
Your Server, Our Service
If you want to avoid the conundrum of choice completely, you can contact us. We can help you in setting up and maintain your server for a fixed one-time fee. We can even design themes for you as per your requirements.
- No technical knowledge necessary.
- We can help you make the right decisions for your website.
- You own the servers, and we happily monitor the server for you.
- Free daily backups.
- If you are not delighted with our service, you can do it yourself or find another provider who can handle the task.
- You don't need to pay us ANYTHING on a recurring basis.
- You will need to pay the providers directly.
- We will help you buy a theme or create one as per your need.
- Many fine-tunings will be done of as part of the assignment.
- Royalty free and suitable images wherever possible.
- Integration of Google Analytics.
- Integration of Disqus or Facebook comments.
- Free SSL.
- Shared hosting is available too, to save cost. For shared hosting, we manage and own the server.
- Backlinks from our network.
- We are a small but dedicated team and believe in transparency. Sometimes, if we are not able to complete a design (ex. a logo) as per your liking, we will notify you, and get it done from a 3rd party. This might mean a slight delay.
- We work remotely unless it is absolutely necessary to come onsite. If we have to come onsite, you will need to bear our cost :-)
- Pricier than do-it-yourself approach. Our rates are reasonable, but not dirt-cheap, because we believe in quality work.
Recommended when you want maximum control and least headache at an unbeatable price.
Having a self-hosted blog is not as difficult as most people think. We hope this article helps you in choosing your own hosting provider. Making a brand is important for everyone these days and with prices dropping to these lows, there is no reason why you shouldn't have your own website.
Well, stay tuned for upcoming articles. Say hi, share this article, leave a comment or Subscribe now to stay updated through our newsletter. Also, check out our services or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for your software and consultancy requirements.